Mental Health

Feel like you are having an Anxiety/Panic attack?

Your family doctor—can rule out any other causes for your symptoms, prescribe medications, do limited counselling and refer you to a psychiatrist or other special services.

Crisis lines aren’t only for people in crisis. You can call for information on local services or if you just need someone to talk to. If you are in distress, call 310-6789 (do not add 604, 778 or 250 before the number) 24 hours a day to connect to a BC crisis line, without a wait or busy signal. The crisis lines linked in through 310-6789 have received advanced training in mental health issues and services by members of the BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information.

  • If you don’t have a family doctor and would like to find one, contact the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons for a list of doctors accepting patients at or 1-800-461- 3008 (toll-free in BC) or 604-733- 7758 (in Greater Vancouver). Available in English only.
  • If you want to speak to a medical professional now, or and aren’t sure if what you’re feeling is mental or physical illness, call HealthLink BC at 811. HealthLink BC provides health information and advice. You can call from anywhere in the province 24-hours, and you can speak to a pharmacist from 5 pm to 9 am every evening. Have your CareCard number ready. If you do not have a CareCard or don’t want to give your CareCard number, you can still get service. If English is not your first language, say the name of your preferred language in English to be connected to an interpreter. More than 130 languages are available.
  • If you feel panicked, overwhelmed, or you’re thinking of suicide and need help immediately, call 310-6789 (no area code needed in BC) to connect with a local crisis line without a wait or busy signal. Available in English only.

Other resources, available in English only, are:
BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information
Visit for info sheets and personal stories about mental health problems and mental illnesses. You’ll also find more information, tips and self-tests to help you understand many different problems, and resources located around the province.

Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division
Visit or
Call 1-800- 555-8222 (toll-free in BC) or 604-688- 3234 (in Greater Vancouver) for information and community resources on mental health or any mental illness.

Kelty Mental Health
Contact Kelty Mental Health at or 1-800- 665-1822 (toll-free in BC) or 604-875- 2084 (in Greater Vancouver) for information, referrals and support for children, youth and their families in all areas of mental health and addictions.

Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention Centre of British Columbia

Pregnant?  A new mom? Pacific Postpartum Support society